Thursday, December 13, 2007

"The Western is definitely ours!"

While promoting We Own the Night overseas, Robert Duvall takes time to talk about his love of Westerns: "The English have Shakespeare, the French have Moliere and the Western is definitely ours. When I was a kid I went to my uncle's ranch in Montana for two summers -- he had a big cattle and sheep place out there. And you know when I first went to Hollywood I would take out a horse every day -- bareback, English saddle, western saddle -- and I learned to jump a horse, so I would have a seat on a horse, because most actors can draw a pistol but they can't ride a horse. So I wanted to do Westerns and it served me well. So I think Westerns are our thing. People say they don't sell but they do sell and as soon as you make them they say, "When are you going to do another one?"

"In England they love Westerns, wide-open spaces and all that, I just like doing them. At the end of my career I thought maybe I could do a gun fighter in a western who is mute, so I wouldn't have any lines..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anything with Robert Duvall is great...