Sunday, April 19, 2009

Lee Ann Womack gets real for Noble Things

The lovely and talented Country music star Lee Ann Womack is almost unrecognizable as a dowdy and dutiful deputy sheriff in Noble Things, the moody filmed-in-Texas drama presented Saturday at the Nashville Film Festival. “Yes, it was quite a change for me,” Lee Ann joked during a pre-screening chat. “Usually, I’m a girl who likes to go around in five-inch heels.” But she knew she needed a deglamorized look to be convincing in the indie feature, the tale of a career-stalled Country singer (Brett Moses) who returns to his home town to deal with a dying father and an imprisoned brother. Producer Ruben Neubauer was impressed by her professionalism: “Lee Ann really did an amazing job. And we’ve gotten some terrific feedback on her performance.”

Noble Things marks Lee Ann’s movie debut – she previously did a guest spot on the TV series The District – and in her view, portraying a character before a camera isn’t all that different from conveying an emotion in a song. “Actually,” Lee Ann said, “it was Willie Nelson who taught me that. I was talking with him about acting when I was out on tour with him. And he said, ‘When you act, you memorize the lines in a script, and you play the part as believably as you can. When you sing, you memorize the lyrics to a song, and you get up there and you try your best to convey that message in a believable way to your audience.’

“The only way I feel you really can do that as a singer is if you are really able to get inside that lyric. In other words, you really can’t sing about pain if you haven’t ever really felt it. And I think it’s the same way about acting. Mind you, I never studied acting, and I don't know everything about it — except just drawing on my own experiences, and trying to convey that emotion."

No comments: